Turn your timber stairs into a design centerpiece
Trust our team of specialists to bring your home to life with the natural beauty of real timber combined with elegant modern staircase design.
Customised timber staircases design that integrates seamlessly into the rest of your home
Every staircase is different and every homeowner will have different style preferences.
Whether you want it to be a standalone feature, or a central point connecting the rest of your design and decor, our selection of timber styles and accessories will bring your timber stairs to life and create flow throughout your home.
Simply visit the Lifewood showroom and our team of flooring consultants will walk you through the range of timber staircases design options and help you create a beautiful art piece in your home.
Modern staircase design with timber flooring has 3 essential elements
Timber Stair Nosings
The over-hanging edge at the top of the stair treads.
Stair nosings get the most wear of a step and require either an anti-slip adhesive strip or coating to meet industry regulations.
All Lifewood stair nosings are precoated with an unnoticeable anti-slip finish.
Timber Stair Risers
A stair riser is the vertical section of a step which fills the distance from one step to the next.
The riser is the most visible part of a step when looking from the bottom requiring that perfect finish.
Timber Stair Treads
The flat surface area completing the top section of the step.
Open treads are individual steps made of solid wood which don’t require risers or nosings.
See examples of open tread staircases below.
Explore our variety of timber staircase designs
How does Lifewood timber flooring make differences
Discover the price of your next project
We will help you find the perfect floor to match all types of balustrade
The floor you choose will have to blend well with the balustrade. Whether it’s wood, glass, steel or aluminium… our team of consultants will work with you to find the perfect design.
Every Lifewood timber staircase design is created with our patented Stabilised Solid technology… 100% real timer engineered to last a lifetime
Every floorboard is manufactured using our world-first, patented Stabilised Solid® technology.
Adaptable to all styles of staircase design
Timber Flooring Glossary
Understand timber and staircase design terms to help express exactly what you are looking for.
- Stringer: The housing on either side of a staircase when not attached to a wall
- Winder: Steps that are narrower on one side than the other used to change stair direction
- Tread: The top section of the step where you put your feet
- Riser: The space steps found in closed tread staircase designs
- Kite: The middle step in a winder which creates a 90 degree angle
- Bull nosing: A rounded edged nosing
- Square nosing: A squared edge nosing
- Waterfall: A flush stair finish which doesn’t have an overhanging nosing
- Open tread: Staircase design where all steps are joined
- Closed tread: Staircase design where steps are individualised and not attached to each other
- Spine: Central beam which supports steps of open tread staircase (also known as a mono stringer)
- Landing: Flat section of a staircase used to divide step areas
- Floating floor: An installation method where the tongue and groove are glued together and laid over foam underlay
- Direct stick: The installation method of gluing floorboards directly to the sub-floor
A beautifully designed floor can only reach its full potential if it’s installed by highly skilled craftsmen.
All of our installers are hand selected for their craftsmanship, family values, and passion for creating amazing flooring
centrepieces. From spiral staircase design to intricate curved steps, the installation team from Lifewood will turn your staircase into artwork.